Sunday, January 17, 2021

Reaching Out


 

Winter is an often forgotten scene to many people. Snow makes them think "cold" and they shy away from it, both in person & in art. Or so I've been told. However, the last 2 paintings I've sold were winter scenes so perhaps that idea has changed.

Myself - I can't seem to stop painting it! I love to paint the clinging snow on branches - love painting the various colors that my mind's eye sees in the snow. The  blues, the violets all seem to add to the depth of the white snow. Because snow, as we all know, is not just white.

This painting was a lesson in balancing both warm & cold colors in a scene. I love how they play off of each other. But too much one way or the other and your painting can be too cold or too warm. I guess it depends on what the artist wants to convey about the scene.

The 2 large trees are my main subject, as well as the larger bush with them. The long branches, reaching out like tendrils - that is what gives the title to this piece. "Reaching Out" - and it seems to match the times of late, where we are all reaching out to one another. Virtually that is, at least for now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...