Sunday, January 24, 2021

Red Door in Winter


 

I am still painting winter! I love the challenge of handling "white." 

This painting has a limited palette - Payne's gray, Titanium White, touches of Raw Umber blended in on fence & building, and, of course, the Red Oxide on the door. Limited palettes always create a challenge to the artist who wants to add color everywhere. This would be an interesting scene to do with the blues & purples that are often done in winter paintings, but then again, the red door would not stand out enough to be the title. 

Does this painting have balance? I wonder about adding a tree or bush on the left of the building but I kind of like the current composition. I see the "power of 3" in this - adding a bush would probably take away that trinity. 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...