Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Work in Progress - Hedgerow


Something a bit different tonight. This is an old painting of mine - old as in maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It has been tucked behind the shelving as a "meaning to get back to" painting for about 7 years. It a rather large stretch canvas, and the boards have warped. So this painting will need to be framed if it survives.

I say survives, because it is now on my easel and facing the "brush." I painted this back in my time when I was concentrating on getting the items painted. And this is indeed, items painted. But it was also a time when I was afraid to push the darks. And so, most of this painting looked flat - actually, it still does in quite a few areas. 

It's a struggle of mine, still - to push the darks. I'm always afraid of pushing them too much. But I'm not fond of the "items" paintings either. Such a challenge!

Any suggestions? One artist told me it was too busy, that there wasn't a place for her to "rest her eye," and suggested that I put some larger dark areas within the leaves. Yes? No? I'm open to other artists eye & thoughts, so go ahead and suggest - I'm listening........

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...