Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pitcher with Fruit


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet
Available through DPW gallery/auction 

I've gotten a little behind with my challenge paintings. This one is for Paint & Draw together and I managed to get this done just in time (deadline is tomorrow).  I'm not sure if it will get up on the website - sometimes the new challenge is launched quickly.  But I'm glad to have gotten this done. I really like the pitcher - pottery always fascinates me.

I wanted to work with a gradual fade into the dark background, putting part of each item into dark shadow. This would basically eliminate the right hand side edges, while the left side edges remained crisp. It's a look I always liked with still life settings that had strong, direct light on the subject. And that pitcher - did I mention I had a thing for pottery, especially pitchers?


4 comments:

yasha said...

Beautiful Nancie!I like the texture of the pitcher and the strong light on the fruits you captured.

irinapictures said...

It turned out great. I like very much how the right side disappears into darkness, I tried to do the same, but with watercolor.

Autumn Leaves said...

I really like this effect too, Nancie! Wonderful job!

padmaja said...

The way you have merged the subjects in to the dark background is stunning.. I also loved the texture on the pitcher!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...