Sunday, June 26, 2011

Iris Batch - SOLD


Studio Atelier's challenge, the Iris, this month. I love the Iris flower - so many varieties, and many colors also. Barb's photos over on Studio's blog have at least 2 colors to work with and she gave us multiple reference photos. I chose a crop of one of her photos so I could work with both the flowers and a bud. Then did a combination of "shapes" painting with a different style of impressionism on the top flower - I thought it gave it a bit of visual interest.

When I first bought my home back in the 80's, it was in September before I could move in. And I had no idea what plants or flowers I had in the yard until the following spring when everything started growing. That first year was so delightful as each plant grew - and I waited to find out what I had in the yard. Each bloom seemed like a present and I watched & waited as each plant started growing. Some turned out to be weeds, others turned out to be diamonds. And the one flower I found in the yard was a batch of the tall bearded Iris's. Their display was stunning and I considered myself to be so fortunate to have these, and I send out a thank you to whomever it was that first planted these in the yard.

Years later, I have dug up this bed multiple times, and given so many of the tubers away to others (they tend to reproduce & enlarge their tubers & will stop flowering if left undivided). Hopefully these people have enjoyed them as much as I have. A few years ago, I took many to my upstate home and planted them. Unfortunately, I don't think I planted them in an area that gets enough sun and so they aren't blooming. But I plan to replant them again, so a sunnier location, so I can get to enjoy this beautiful flower once again.

6 comments:

martinealison said...

Un très beau travail dans l'harmonie de vos couleurs pour ces iris... Ils sont tellement majestueux.
Gros bisous

Autumn Leaves said...

Gorgeous colors within those petals and I absolutely love that green background, Nan!

Pam Holnback said...

Beautiful iris!

Linda Popple said...

Lovely!

Angela Sullivan said...

Love the boldness. The dark and light dance together perfectly.

Nan Johnson said...

Thank you everyone, your comments are so much appreciated. Sometimes when I'm working on something I worry if it will be well-received by the viewers. And other times I count on the feedback of my art friends to find that little "umph" that a painting may need!
@Sherry - I knew you'd like that background, given your fondness of greens! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...