Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Autumn Bench


Autumn Bench is my submission for the Behind the Scenes April monthly challenge. This one image really caught my attention and I knew I had to paint this one.

The original is a grayscale image with lovely gray tones & values, but when I looked at this image, it just begged for the colors of fall (at least to me it did). I may do a grayscale of this one day as I'd like to play with all those values, it would be very interesting to paint.

I tried to play with dappled sunlight on the leaves & bench. It actually resembles frost on the leaves on the ground, which is what happens often in NY state. The Autumn season will start slow, then build to a beautiful display, usually around Oct 12th (we usually use Columbus Day as a guide). But then the leaves fall, and they fall, and they fall. The leaves are everywhere on the ground, and if you aren't quick in gathering them, they will collect the frost and light snow that can begin early in the Adirondacks. One year the snow started so early, and fell so heavy so soon, that the leaves were completely covered. And they stayed covered until Spring. (average annual snowfall in our neck of the woods is 5 feet, that year we exceeded the average). What a mess we had that year doing Spring clean up!

Acrylic on 9"x12" canvas sheet

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Absolutely beautifully done, Nancie! I must admit my original inclination was to go to color (watercolors) on this one, but then the oil b&w idea began to take precedence. I must say that it is a gorgeous color composition and my favorite season to boot!

Linda Popple said...

Great job in translating the black and white photo to color! Very nice!!

Julie E Haynes said...

Just beautiful! I very much just want to crawl into that peaceful scene! So beautiful. Wonderfully done!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...