Friday, December 10, 2010

Little Red House

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet -- ORIGINAL SOLD
Prints available through Fine Art America

Don't you just love working with red? It is such a powerful color, and has such depth to it. It tends to cover well, and has an almost buttery texture to it. I don't work with it all that much, but after doing this painting, I may have to.

This is my submission to this months Rookie Painter. What a great photo, with that red house framed on either side by the greens of the trees. I couldn't find a crop that I liked better than the whole photo, so I worked with it as is. I added to the height, and put a bit more in the foreground - wanted you, the viewer, to be able to "walk" up to it.  Oh, and yes, I did the "shapes" style of painting on this.

By the way, did I mention I loved working with the reds in this?

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas

6 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Reds are fun and you did a great job with them! Very nice!!

yasha said...

Oh so captivating.Lovely Nancie, you beautifully painted trees behind which helps the red to stand out even more.

martinealison said...

Très réussie cette peinture et vraiment gaie... cela pourrait être la maison de la mère noël...
Bisous

Barbara said...

It's funny; just like I probably ought to wear more red, I should paint with it more. I just dab at the cadmium red on my palette. I need to paint something red. You've done such a great job with this. It's a bold happy painting.

Rebecca said...

You added depth and height to this photo to make it interesting. Nice choice of complimentary green and red. Very nice job Nancie!

Alan said...

I agree about the background trees as effective contrast. Another contrast: a sky, preferably brilliant blue. Went recently up the St Lawrence -- loads of red roofs, all looking freshly painted; at their best against a very blue sky. Nice work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...