Monday, October 25, 2010

The Window

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet, without matt/frame
Available through DPW gallery/auction
To purchase/bid, click here.

When I first saw the photograph at Rookie Painter I was reminded of Van Gogh for some reason. I didn't just want to paint this one, I needed to paint it. I'm not sure why but I have, on occasion, encountered a subject that I just "had" to paint.

Whether it was the subdued colors outside of the window, the light-kissed drapes framing the window, or the way the light outlined the creases in the bedding - probably a bit of all of this is what drove me to paint this. This was done in 1 sitting, in about 2 hours - it really painted itself. Nothing was "redone" or changed, it just "went on the canvas." I just "knew" what colors to use where and what strokes to put down.

Paintings like this amaze, and perplex, me. Why is that some paintings seem to paint themselves, while other need lots of working & reworking to achieve a look that I'm happy with? Not that I'm complaining - I am very happy with the outcome on this!

The camera does not show the color of the dark areas in this. The walls are a dark umber, while the bedding is actually a very dark purple.

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas

6 comments:

padmaja said...

Yes I do agree with you, it happens sometimes and quite intriguing! May be it is to do with the brain functioning on certain inputs..lovely work again Nancy, liked the subtle look out of the window that is a striking contrast with the dark interior.

yasha said...

Nancie such a great atmosphere you have created here.Great feel of the morning light through the window.
Oh my god I am still doubtful whether to attempt this piece or not.

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

You have exemplified in this painting, the popular saying "Paint what you feel, not just what you see!" You have created a lovely mood with your subtle colors and light. Very nice.

Barbara said...

I agree, it is a wonderful image. So many possible stories in the rumpled blanket and the view beyond. You did a great job with it. Your curtain is marvelous.

SYLVIANE said...

Beautiful reddition, Nancie!

Rebecca said...

I like your crop of this picture, and the emphasis on the curtain. Very nicely done!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...