Friday, October 1, 2010

The Royal Apple


Well, it's apple season here in the Northeast. And the signs are up everywhere to "pick your own" and "fresh squeezed cider." The weekends are filled with families heading to "the country" to pick apples and buy cider. It's tradition. 

And so, when Paint & Draw Together posted this apple photo for their challenge #9, I thought what a perfect subject to paint right now. Their image is wider, done as a landscape and is really very beautiful. I plan to paint this one again, as a landscape size so I can include all of the leaves & details - and I will probably do that one with more realism. But for the challenge, I went with my first composition which is a close-up cropped portrait of the apple & attached leaves. Just loved the colors and wanted to put in the blocks & shapes for the design.

Acrylic on canvas, 9 x 12

3 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

Another beauty! I love your style of using color blocks!

Paula said...

You've explained your technique but it's still a wonder! You are so good! I want this in my kitchen. You are soo good!

Margaret said...

This really is good. I love when the leaves are still on them and your color choices were very nice. You do a nice job of simplifying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...