Sunday, October 3, 2010

Leaves


Perfect time of year to be painting these leaves, which is this months Rookie Painter challenge. With this one, as much as I loved painting the colors of the leaves - I had just as much fun painting their shadows. In fact, that is what drew me to this one. I did rearrange them a bit from the original post, I wanted their stems & shadows to overlap. And the block style of painting, their shadows are seen in layers of values (& colors). Not sure if you can tell (digital photos are not always the best) but the background is a very light pink/lavender shade, while the shadows are shades of lavender & violet (and a touch of blue).

I think autumn is probably my favorite time of year (although I do love spring as well). But the colors in the trees is something I always look forward to. It starts with one tree, partially changing, then another. Then a few others. Then one morning you walk outside & poof - color is everywhere.

Sometimes you can drive along and not see very much change, then turn a corner and everything is all ablaze with yellows & reds & oranges. It's a photographers dream, chasing these colors. But no matter how much you photograph, it just does replace seeing it in person.

If you live in an area that does not have a colorful autumn, then put travel to the Northeast on your list of things to do. Crisp air with color all around - don't forget the fresh cider from the apples. Toss in some craft fairs or some antique shows and you've got a wonderful trip that I think you would enjoy.

For those that live in an area with so much color, don't forget to look! It's so easy to get all wrapped up in our lives and deadlines that we forget to look. Then before you know it, the season is gone & you're sad that you missed it. Just take a moment to look - it will make you smile!

Acrylic on canvas, 9x12

7 comments:

SYLVIANE said...

I like your warm colors, Nancie, and your background!

Barbara said...

That is a beautiful background. It has the simplicity and purity of white, but beautiful warm and cool colors and a hint of texture. I think I have autumn envy.

Linda Popple said...

Very nice, Nancie! I like the colors you've chosen.

Paula said...

Gorgeous! I especially love the red leaf and the details on the green one.

Dabblerteer said...

The leaves and their shadows work together beautifully.

yasha said...

Yet another beautiful piece of work Nancie.Your choice of simple white background really works.Loved the delicately painted leaves and what makes it really interesting is the overlapping shadows.Great work!!

Virginia Floyd said...

Really beautiful! So simple and elegant. I love the colors on the red leaf!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...