Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Lake House

"The Lake House" - Rockport Maine
6x12 acrylic on canvas
Email me if interested in this painting

One final painting done in Maine for the VPO, and I think this one is in the correct area since the guidelines say to start at Rockport! The original Google view can be seen by clicking here.

If you look at the original you will see that I changed quite a few things - artistic license! As with all the VPO challenges, I start with a simple screen grab on the computer. Here is the home as it appears in Google:

I loved the home & the setting, I even loved the wall in front & the gate. But I disliked that large garage attached on the left. So I chose to eliminate it, and had the lake continue on the left of the home as well as on the right. I added trees to frame the home. 

Now I really did love that brick wall and gate, and originally planned to include them in the painting - BUT - I didn't like the way the wall cut the painting off on the bottom. And also, I did not like the gate shut - closed gates are not inviting! I thought to try the wall without the gate, or to somehow paint the gate open, but again, that wall cut the painting off. So instead I eliminated the wall & gate, and extended the front lawn area all the way. One additional flower pot at the start of the front walkway to help lead you to the house & the front door. 

Not all photographs will make a good painting. I learned that in a workshop I attended once and this painting proves that to be true (in this case at least). 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...