Thursday, April 28, 2016

Water Under the Bridge

"Water Under the Bridge"
9x12 acrylic on canvas
Available through DPW gallery/auction

I have had this photo in my "to paint" pile for a while now. Unfortunately, I can not recall where this photo is from. I greatly enhanced the colorings and changed some of the rocks, so it may not be recognizable. I wanted to do a painting with lots and lots of color. I think I achieved it!

I've done waterfalls before but I forgot how difficult they can be. Trying to capture moving water on a 2 dimensional surface. And, at the same time, add in vibrant colors! 

The palette in this isn't very extensive. I worked the stones with a great deal with Dioxazine purple (anyone who knows my work, knows I love that color), Indanthrene blue (another of my favorites), and Van Dyke red.  The greens were a mix with yellows and the water was the purple with some Ultramarine blue. The archway I opted for some Turner's yellow mixed (or washed over with) a bit of the Van Dyke red. 

Much fun! Next I have a commissioned home portrait to do, so a break away from landscapes for a bit.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...