Sunday, May 3, 2015

Terlizzi


"Terlizzi"
6 x 12 acrylic on canvas panel
commissioned piece - NFS

This was a commissioned piece I did recently for a friend who wanted to surprise someone with a painting from a favorite vacation trip they had made. I could not post this until the gift was received. The feedback I just got was that "She LOVED it!"  Always makes me feel good when I can make someone happy that way. Both the gift-giver & recipient! 

Terlizzi is an area in Italy where the gift-recipient's family is from, and they visited the area not so long ago. They even visited the church where their ancestors were members. So the commission requirement was to do the streets of the area, but put the church's steeple in the background. She didn't want the church to be the only thing in the painting, but did want it's steeple visible in the background.

I roamed the area on Google maps & once we were able to nail down which church (Italy had a few churches, all with similar names), I was able to look around the correct neighborhood in the maps. Problem was, none of the google streets showed the church the way I needed it! Photoshop to the rescue. 

There was a term I once read about images pieced together to make a single painting - it was referred to as "Frankenstein" images. And that is what I did. I took other shots & scenes I found & put them together, added some flowers (the scene had some, but I added more) - and then added the church's steeple in the background. I sent the photoshopped image off to my client who loved it, and off I went painting it. I loved the shadows, the colors (I always find that images of Italy show lots of color), and of course the flowers. (my Italian grandparents loved to garden & I believe I have the same love of gardening because they taught it to me). And there sits the church's steeple, just down the block, standing tall above the street scene.

----------------------------------

What a wonderful gift for someone, or even for yourself - a painting from a recent vacation -- of Italy or anywhere else in the world! Contact me if you'd like to commission a piece of a favorite memory. Whether it's from a single snapshot that you'd like to display, or a "Frankenstein" composition of some of your favorites - we can work together to make a wonderful final painting.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

It really is gorgeous, Nancie!! I love the light and the joy the flowers bring...sigh...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...