Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Velveteen Rabbits

"Velveteen Rabbits"
8x10 acrylic on canvas
Available through DPW gallery/auction

They're back in the yard again! Last year, my yard had the pleasure of being the host to a family of rabbits. And after a long, cold winter, I spotted "mom" and "dad" in the yard this evening. Soon the little ones will be in the yard as well.

I have a rather protected yard and the animals seem to love it. I always have birds at the feeders, plus squirrels, of course (can't have one without the other it seems). Also bunnies live here. The yard is protected by a deep hedge that runs the length of the property on one side - the birds love to hang out in there, watching the feeder for more seed. And it offers protection from any neighborhood cats who might come prowling. 

Beneath both the Dogwood & Ornamental Apple trees is a bed of ground cover that grows very well in the shade. This is where the bunnies will hide if they sense danger. But it's funny, they really don't run from my husband or myself - not even from our old dog either. I suppose they have gotten quite comfortable with us. 

I will say, having rabbits in the yard does not work very well with vegetable gardens - unless you can have raised beds (very raised), or hanging plants. I lost many a vegetable to my furry friends - not to mention the birds love to steal the strawberries! But there are ways to adapt to live with animals - just takes a bit of extra effort.


3 comments:

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

Such cute sweet rabbits. Just precious, Nan.

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Une peinture pleine d'amour... Magnifique ces petits lapins et tous les mots qui accompagnent cette belle oeuvre m'ont émue.
Un animal heureux revient toujours... J'aime tant les animaux que je ne peux qu'adorer ce sublime billet.

❀ ✺ Gros bisous ✺ ❀

Autumn Leaves said...

What an adorable pair and I love how you've painted the grass. It is amazing work, Nan!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...