Thursday, August 21, 2014

Bald Eagle


"Bald Eagle"
8x10 acrylic inks & washes on canvas board
Available through DPW gallery/auction

This is the second painting I did when I was at the gallery this past weekend. And much like "Golden", it is done with pen & ink with acrylic washes. The challenge with this one was how to convey "white" without leaving it just plain white!

Using only subtle washes, I tried to add the shading in the areas of the feathers that would reflect light. And also in the areas where there were some light shadows. The background on this is a very deep, dark green.

These smaller ink/wash paintings have been fun. I find that only certain subjects really lend themselves to this style - at least for my version of the technique. Feathers, I think, are perfect to convey with lines. Also, architectural items. 

It occurred to me that this technique is similar to scratchboard, which is something I haven't done in quite some time. Now I have the urge to do another one of those soon!


1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

I would have sworn that I commented on this piece yesterday...But I love it. Such a majestic portrait!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...