Thursday, June 19, 2014

Rocky Road


"Rocky Road"
9x12 acrylic on canvas on hardboard
Available through DPW gallery/auction

This months VPO takes a look at the Primorsky Kray region of Russia. An interesting area to explore. I decided to combine this with the DPW challenge this month, which is "paths." Here is the Google link to the location.

So what is a path? We all assume it is a well-travelled, thin dirt passageway - or maybe it's simply a concrete, thin walkway around the house. But whatever vision the word conjures up, it reflects a "line" that gives direction. 

So when I wandered around this area of Russia, I was looking & watching for a path to paint. I followed a dirt road that lead out into the water, and at the tail end I found rocks as the road broke up & ended - still within the water. I don't think it made it to the other side, it simply broke up & then disappeared. 

I've encountered these types of paths by our lake - where you could follow the path and it will lead you right into the water. Only to resurface maybe 4 feet ahead of you again. And the water is shallow enough to walk through to the next "island." And these islands are affectionately called the "Trap Islands" -- because they have been known to trap an unsuspecting boater who was going between them. Fortunately, our Trap Islands are mostly sand - but these in Russia appear to be only rock. 

You may also notice that I'm starting to paint in a more impressionistic style - something I have been meaning to play with more. I will still do my detail work, especially on the homes & pet portraits (the fur) - but I like to have a bit of fun with the scenery pieces. 


1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh can you imagine the tide pools? Lovely thoughts behind this painting, Nancie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...