Monday, May 5, 2014

On the Coneflower


"On the Coneflower"
6x8 acrylic on canvas
Available through DPW gallery/auction

This is the first in a small series that I'm calling "Petals & Wings." I thought this one would be fun, but actually, it gave me quite a struggle. At first, ALL the colors were way too vibrant in this. So I put wash, after wash, on the background to tone it down. I wanted the background to be vague - just the hint of leaves & stalks. 

The coneflowers were also a bit of work - and I was trying to stay loose with them. Played with a lot of different colors with these flowers.

The butterfly is about the only item with details - I found it hard to paint it without. I think I may try this again & use only a knife. That will force me to be more loose with my paint!


1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think this is beautiful and I do love the cone flower's inner area and the detail you did get in that portion. Would have commented yesterday but blogs were not opening for me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...