Monday, March 10, 2014

Hedge Lane


"Hedge Lane"
Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet
Available through DPW gallery/auction

I am captivated by roads, paths, lanes, trails - anything that can be travelled. I don't know if it is the act of traveling or the actual visual of the scenery around, but I feel compelled to change course whenever I encounter one. It's as if they call-out, they beckon "over here, this way" - and a part of me listens. Perhaps it is the opportunity that these paths offer - a chance to change things, a chance for life to be different, or maybe it's the opportunity to find "it" again - that place that you go to when you want to get grounded, when you need to regroup again, when you need sanctuary. 

So it's no surprise that many of my landscape paintings have a road or path in them, even if it's only a hint of one, it is usually there in the scene. In this particular painting, originally done in 2009, the road is a travelled one, dirt in the 2 track marks left behind by numerous travelers, now permanently worked into the land. Grass grows between the marks, while flowers spring forth on each side - lining the edges, helping to point the direction out to a weary traveler. 

This will be the third, and final, post for this painting on DPW as it will hit it's limit on the site. I will take it offline after that. I honestly don't know why this one hasn't sold - I guess it hasn't found that one traveler that responds to it's call.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

It is a beautiful painting, Nancie. It truly is.

Unknown said...

I can see that you are fascinated by roads and where they might lead, this one seems to be beckoning me to follow it. The shadows at the end create the idea that the road continues on and on, with lots of interesting things ahead. And the lines of the landscape are so nicely placed to keep the eye gently moving side to side, but also following up through the piece. Well done!

Nan Johnson said...

Thank you Sherry, glad you like it.

Thank you Katherine! You are an artist with your words, you described the sensation of the road perfectly. Thank you for your kind words. I just checked your blog & wow! I will need to spend more time there - I love your dancing trees!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...