Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Celebrate-Sun


"Celebrate-Sun"
Mixed Media on 12x12 canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery

This is my 2014 submission to the CBS Sun library, which is handled through The Artists Challenge Gallery. Each year the web group does a specific challenge called "Sun Art." The photos of the images are packaged & sent off to CBS television station. They choose assorted "suns" to display throughout their Sunday Morning Show. This is my 4th year doing this challenge!

This year I wanted to do something different but was not sure what. When a friend on Facebook posted a quilting pattern I was inspired.

The quilting pattern was first sketched out on canvas. Then the entire background was painted with a light yellow acrylic. The shapes of the sun are pieces of colored tissue paper "pasted" in place to the paint, then a light yellow wash over them. Outline of the shape done with gold inks. Background stencils with additional acrylics (some iridescent). Entire piece was then sealed & then small gems were added to various key points. Since one of the tissue paper designs is a "happy birthday" -- this sun is for celebrations! 

Here's a closeup look:

This was difficult to photograph and I'm still not sure I caught it well. I think this would look wonderful in a "floating" frame. Right now, it is for sale without the frame - but the price will increase once I do frame it. 

What do you think of this years sun? It's a bit different from my usual work. Does it seem cheerful & does it make you smile? 

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Definitely cheerful, definitely out of the box, a great idea and it turned out lovely, Nancy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...