Friday, February 21, 2014

White House View


"White House View"
9x12 acrylic on canvas panel
Available through eBay Gallery/Auction

This month the VPO is in Washington DC - and what a variety of subjects to paint! For me, keeping with the architectural painting style, I did this shot from inside the White House (yes, Google maps has recorded some areas of the White House). Here is the original view.

As you may remember, I did this view a few years back for a different challenge. But I wanted to work it again a bit differently. I'm actually in love with the curtains & the ropes that tie them back. But I found another view inside the White House that I will paint - probably not in time for the VPO that ends next week, so I will paint it for myself. It's a great challenge for handling shadows & light - I'm looking forward to it.

I do have a painting in the works right now of a street view in Wash DC - hope to have that finished in time. It is done except for stage 3 -- I look at my work as having 3 stages: Sketch, Paint, Shade. Stage 3 has always been my challenge - worry about going too far with the darks, worry about not enough highlights. Finding that balance is key, but as they say with "How to get to Carnegie Hall" -- practice, practice, practice!


1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

The curtains are beautiful, Nancie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...