Thursday, January 30, 2014

Winter Blues


"Winter Blues"
14 x 18 acrylic on canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery/auction

We are just about done with January, but winter has all of February (and part of March) to go through. The weather, so far, as been cold. Very cold. I don't think I remember negative numbers quite so often in my neck of the woods, or wind chill warnings being issued either! This, along with the shorter days, all give me what I call my "winter blues." And I thought, what a great idea for a painting.

Located on Moose River in NY, this wintry scene was painted entirely with Indanthrene Blue & Titanium White (a few touches of Paynes Gray were added along the shoreline only). I wanted to capture the coldness of the winter. There are no warm spots in this painting! 

I love doing these limited palette paintings. They are a challenge, but then again, they are not. When working with only 2 or 3 colors, you must mix what you need. And I think it's easier to focus on your value changes without being distracted by various colors.

I do love winter - I just wish it wasn't so cold! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...