Thursday, November 14, 2013

Foal With Mom


"Foal with Mom"
12 x 12 acrylic on canvas board
Available through DPW gallery/auction

I have finally gotten back to doing the challenge at Lee A Brown Photography. He posted this wonderful photo of a foal with it's mother. I chose to do the ink lines, washes & acrylic paints to create this one. I like the look this style has and have been experimenting with it again. It doesn't work with all subjects, but I like it with animals. Seems to add a bit of vitality to the painting.

This is also a square format - something I don't do very often. The image has to lend itself to that shape, I think. Most of my art is rectangular, so this seemed a bit "off" to me at first. 

The camera is not picking up the iridescent bronze that is scattered within the horses - just enough to add a bit of highlights. Likewise, there is some iridescent white scattered within the grass that they are eating. The iridescent colors are nice for accents - you just don't want to overdue them. That old expression "too much of a good thing" definitely applies to this. 

3 comments:

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

Very interesting style. I like your interpretation - nice work!

Autumn Leaves said...

Love the way the baby is looking at his mom too! I like this style, Nan.

Nancy Goldman said...

What a cool technique! I really like it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...