Friday, August 23, 2013

The Wood Pile


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery/auction

Previously painted in 2010, 
this painting is now on a 1-week auction at DPW
at a very affordable starting bid!

Every year in upstate New York, we have seasoned wood delivered, which we stack for use in the winter. And often, we have more wood than we can fit in our usual areas. This extra woodpile next to the tree caught my eye. The warm colors of the wood against the cool greens of the leaves begged to be painted. There is always something wonderful about smelling a woodstove or campfire - brings such good memories to mind.

This is one of my few plein aire paintings (I don't find the quick drying time of acrylics very useful in outdoor painting locations). I had to work fast, as the greens were drying on me before I could do any blending. But I really do like the effect on this, and the tree bark.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Nancie, this is just gorgeous! I love the way you've sunlit the front tree leaves and the richness of the greens all throughout. The browns look beautiful against the greens too. This is the type of spot that would draw me instantly...the shade, the greens, the forest beyond...

Sea Dean - Paint a Masterpiece said...

That icy yellow and the value shifts are inspirational. Great painting.

Ferri Redden said...

I am in love with your art, do you take special request orders? I have a beautiful picture I took on the Silverton Train. I would love an 11 x 14 done depending on the cost.

Thank you,
Ferri redden
quiltr542@yahoo.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...