Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Blackbird


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery


The sound of the red winged blackbird always brings me back to when I was a child, and I would stand in the backyard & listen to their song. It's a distinctive sound that I always associate with spring. 

Here, have a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3QicOAiBXk

I chose to add the purple tint to it's black feathers because, often, black has that purple tone in it - especially when the sun hits it. 

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Nice one, Nan.

Autumn Leaves said...

Funnily enough, Nancie, I don't remember ever seeing these birds growing up and I've only begun seeing them since I moved back to Illinois in 2000 and not even then until we moved out of Cook County in 2004. I'm pretty observant generally, too. Anyway, you've painted this red-winged blackbird just beautifully. I think the bit of purple was perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...