Monday, January 7, 2013

30 in 30 Days - Day 6 - Winter Farm


Acrylic on 8x10 canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery/auction

I'm back to work at the day job today - been off for a couple of weeks. I enjoyed last week with the hub-bub of the holidays over. I got to be a "full-time" artist and I loved it! But this week I go back to my usual routine of working all day in NY, then the commute home (measured in hours, not minutes), dinner & then up to my studio (spare bedroom). Not complaining really, or whining. It's just the way things are right now until one day...... ah yes, one day........

Anyway, here is my 6th painting for the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge. A winter scene of a farm - lots of those upstate and I visited many last week with camera in hand. In this one I used the blue again to indicate the cold, and have the red buildings pop against the blue & white. The composition in this is meant to lead you in - hopefully the eye follows the small creek, then gets handed over to the shrub, which points to the building. And then the eye takes in the background of blue/white -- trees in snow going up the mountain. 

This challenge has given me a chance to really paint again and I'm enjoying it. And as Leslie suggested, I've done some in advance or multiples in a day so that I'm ahead. Does take the pressure off, but I can't get complacent either (I'm not 30 paintings ahead!) I've built up quite a gallery of winter landscape scenes - I may paint some closeups of winter & items next to break up the landscapes a bit. 

Click here to see all paintings in Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

What a beautiful spot to have a farm or ranch. This is just so pretty, Nancie. I know I say that all the time, but I don't lie.

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

I am enjoying your winter series, Nan. They are each different, but lovely. It is amazing the drama you have achieved with such a limited palette.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...