Sunday, January 6, 2013

30 in 30 Days - Day 5 - Hazy Shade of Winter


Acrylic on 8x10 canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery/auction

My 5th day of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge and I'm still working with winter & snow. This one is a value study, done entirely with Payne's Gray and Titanium White. I had a lot of fun painting this one - loved working with the values only. Without the color, I find it easier to detect subtle shade differences such as in the tall vertical trees. The shade of gray was changed for each one so that no two have the identical shade. Some highlights (or darklights as I like to call them) were done with similar shades, just to pull the entire painting together. 

I like this one quite a bit - the grays actually look like silver and the whites easily stand out. I will need to do more of these gray value paintings in this challenge. I found it not only fun, but I learned quite a bit doing it as well!

Click here to see all paintings in Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge

2 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love your monochromatic winter painting - it definitely has that cold, silvery look of winter!

Autumn Leaves said...

Every single one of your winter studies has been so beautiful, Nancie! I love this; looks like the same place as your first you showed, only with heavier snow fall and frozen stream!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...