Sunday, December 2, 2012

Winter Cabin


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery/auction

I recently read something an artist wrote concerning landscape paintings. She had said that they didn't really interest her at all, and that she often skips past them to look at something she finds more interesting. This must be true with many people as the landscape painting is my least popular as far as sales goes. But still, when I stumble upon a scene in nature like this, it simply screams "paint me" - and so I have to. It may be just a landscape to some, but it is painted from my heart - I guarantee.

The feeling of isolation is common up in the mountains during winter, and you can stumble upon a cabin (or 2) in the forest when you are hiking, snow shoeing or snowmobiling. These are usually a combination hunting cabin & storage shed, and are used during hunting season (and then rarely after that). They are often near a pond or stream for fresh water access, and most have some form of wood burning stove within for heat. In the case of this one, it was not in use at the time. But mother nature was changing her seasons over and had recently dropped a bit of snow to the scene - however, the temperatures had not been cold long enough to fully ice over the pond - giving the subtle reflections in the cold water.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think I must really be so different from most people. I PREFER landscapes. They make me dream, make me wonder, make me wish. I do not care for abstract work at all and still lifes so often bore me. I like portraits but would never buy a portrait of someone I didn't know.

I LOVE this one, Nancie. It is so magical and I can almost hear the heavy hush brought on by the cold, the insulation of the snow...I want to be in the cabin, living there, enjoying it all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...