Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pretty Girl


Bingo was my pet bird - 1 of 6 cockatiels that I owned for a number of years. She died recently at the age of 17 (so we think). She had a very good life and lived a long time. She was a great companion bird. If anyone is ever thinking of getting a bird as a pet, but do not want to invest in a large parrot, I do suggest the cockatiel. They make a wonderful pet, and unlike the small birds that don't really interact with people, this variety does. They actually see you, the human, as a part of their flock. Some whistle, some talk, and most will offer the back of their heads for some soft scratching/preening from their human flock-mate.

I was sad to lose Bingo, and as I said, she was the last of the 6 that I owned. Each one had their own personality and each one interacted with me on a different level. Bingo had surgery when she was young which is very risky on a bird. But she pulled through like a trooper and was back to her old self in no time. We developed a stronger bond because of that time, I think, and we remained good friends until the very end.

I don't like to say goodbye, as I believe we see those that we have loved and lost when we, too, leave this world. So all I will say to Bingo, and to the other birds as well,  is "I'll see you again on the other side."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bingo is beautiful, Nancie. I'm so sorry you lost him(her?). I love birds and I do think they make wonderful pets. Except the pooping. That is the only part that I find hard to handle. Your painting is so gorgeous and I hope you frame it and hang it in your own home!

jill polsby said...

I'm sorry.

renate said...

What a nice story to tell! And the painting is also very nice.
Renate

irinapictures said...

Amazing how our artworks depend on our feelings. Great painting and story behind it.

Rebecca said...

Very sorry about your loss. However, your pet bird painting is beautiful. The simplicity of composition and use of color. Very nicely done.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...