Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bicycle Group - SOLD


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet
Available through DPW gallery/auction 


The idea on this was taken from a catalog I saw some time ago (last year maybe?) and it showed 3 women with bicycles riding together. I think the catalog was for clothing, but could not swear to it.  The photo & shapes intrigued me so much that I tore the page out & saved it for reference. Recently I came across that torn out page & decided to paint my version.

I have seen so many paintings of bicycles by so many different artists and I can understand why. A bicycle offers so many lines & arcs -- and their shadows are just as interesting.  The round tires, the spokes crossing in the middle of them, the handle bars & pedals -- all interesting shapes. Then add the figures, the hats, the bags - so much to add, so many areas for details. This was fun to paint, I have to say. And the memories this evoked were of a childhood filled with bicycles & rides!

The love of the bicycle is not lost on children, who see a 2 wheeler as their first step to independence. I remember my first 2 wheeler, which had training wheels on it in the beginning. I wasn't allowed off "the block" so I rode that bicycle around and around the block until I was exhausted! Eventually, once my balance was good, the training wheels came off - and then not long after that, I was allowed off the block. That's when I had my first taste of freedom - I rode that bicycle all over town, up & down every street, around every corner. It was my vehicle of independence, my method of travel, and, to some degree, my best friend. I polished the chrome & paint (blue), and took special care of the gears & chain. Yes, it was my first new car!

Looking back now, I remember the thrill of riding my bicycle fast down a long hill - wind in my hair. Especially on a warm summer evening, riding as fast as I dared, just to feel that wind on my face. I smile now, remembering that. It's one of those special moments in time that sticks with you - a memory that is always in the back of your mind.

And it comes to the front whenever you write about it in a blog, or paint a bicycle in a painting, or even when you see a child today riding their bicycle as fast as they dare to, down a long hill, and smiling with the wind on their face.

Some things are just not meant to be outgrown!

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Somehow our childhood days seem so much more innocent than today's days bring to our kids and grandkids. I always love hearing your thoughts and memories, Nancie. Love this painting; thought it was a mom and her two daughters and it reminds me of my time with my own daughters when they were young.

Virginia Floyd said...

Great job on those bikes! Love the shadows.

I too loved my bike. I rode for miles with the wind in my face. Sometimes I think how worried my mother would have been if she'd know how far and wide I traveled.

Roger Ã…kesson said...

The paiting makes me think about the summer, nice painting

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...