Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tubes of Acrylic Paint


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet, without matt/frame
Available through DPW gallery/auction
To purchase/bid, click here.

Done for the DPW challenge, which is to paint what we paint with! These tubes of acrylic paint are a few of the deformed tubes I have - deformed from constant use. Squeezing and twisting them to get tightly sealed caps off of metallic tubes. They crinkle and bend, kink and curl - all of them showing the signs of constant use.

I have an old (very old) hand-held can opener that I use to grasp these caps and twist them off. The inside of the 2 hand grips is an old style bottle opener, which is what I grasp the cap with. It gives me a bit more leverage for twisting. And some of these smaller caps are very hard to get a grip on!

I originally thought of doing my painting of my brushes but I found the shapes and twists of the tubes more intriguing, and I thought they would make a more interesting painting. And, of course, I had to do a close up on them.

If you're wondering what these paints are, the tubes are clockwise from top: Winsor & Newton Terracotta, Grumbacher Academy Titanium white, and Winsor & Newton Olive Green.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

What a great job, Nancie!

Jean Nelson Paintings and Photography said...

I like your crumpled paint tubes because they look sooo familiar; but I also really like your painting of them. It is simple yet has a nice composition of shapes and color. Since you introduced the topic, I use adjustable pliers to open paint tubes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...