Monday, December 20, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards


I said I would do more portraits, as I feel I need the practice. My portraits do look like people, I just haven't found the method to capture the resemblance of a person. I feel with this one, I came closer.

This is my rendition of Elizabeth Edwards, and I am submitting this to the "In The Moment Challenge." This month, the challenge is to represent the word "Triumphant." You may not think of Elizabeth Edwards when thinking of the word triumphant, as she did lose her battle with cancer recently. However, it is her life, and courage, and fortitude that I think of when I think of her, and her ability to stand up in life and live - in spite of having the cancer, and in spite of her personal upheavals with her marriage - that, to me, makes her triumphant in my eyes. She was a very elegant lady, with lots of class. She spoke out about her battle with cancer and brought it to the surface for many women who are also facing this same battle. She managed to maintain a down-to-earth, real-person persona - even though she was forced to live her life under the microscope of the press. And with everything she did, and every interview she gave, she gave of herself without hatred or bitterness. I truly believe that she was triumphant in her life.

Acrylic on canvas, 9x12

5 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

I think you've done a wonderful job! Her story did touch me and I do feel that she does fall under the category of triumphant.

Angela Sullivan said...

Great Job, I also strugle with portraits but just keep on trying. You are just getting better and better.

Margaret said...

Fantastic, Nancy. I, too, was always impressed with her attitude and grace under fire, so to speak. This is a great likeness, I would have known who it was if you hadn't put her name under the painting. Merry Christmas and thanks for participating. If I had more time this season, I would try to do a poem about her.

Virginia Floyd said...

Really great, Nancy. I really like how you handled the values in this one.

Unknown said...

Nancie, I think you've done a very good impression of her. I've done several portraits both commissioned and otherwise and for me, if I have captured the person's "spirit" in their eyes the whole resemblance will happen.
Good luck with this one; it's great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...