Thursday, October 21, 2010

Reflection

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet, without matt/frame
$59.00 includes S&H in US
To purchase, click here.

There is something about reflections that capture our attention. When the water (or surface) is smooth & untouched by wind, the mirror-like reflection is something that all artists, photographers & painters alike, attempt to capture.

I find painting reflections a challenge - trying to get that mirror reflection accurate. What points to the "northeast" corner must now point to the "southeast" -- but also the highlights & shadows flop as well. I have tried to turn the piece upside down to paint the reflection, but found that doesn't help near as much as working with the piece sideways. When I turned the water line to a vertical, I found it easier to match the left & right sides. Again, it's really only shapes & colors, but for some reason my mind can balance left-to-right better that up-and-down.

Note: I've taken a new photo of this art in an attempt to allow it to enlarge better. Hopefully, the camera I used is a bit better than the older one.

6 comments:

padmaja said...

Stunning Nancy, I wish I could enlarge and enjoy better.. that seems like a great tip too!

Nan Johnson said...

Thank you padmaja - I have changed the image in this so it can be enlarged. (old camera vs. new camera!)

Cheri Wollenberg said...

Nancie, For me reflections are much easier in oil than acrylic. I have trouble with acrylic drying on the brush before I get it to the canvas (laugh). I'm amazed at acrylic painters. Your painting very striking...great job.

Margaret said...

I will remember that tip. Thanks. I love this light flower against the dark water. Striking.

Nancy Goldman said...

Very nice painting Nancy

Helen said...

This is a beautiful painting. I love the greens and white that's also filled with the greens. What a great idea - the horizontal to vertical thing - I'm going to try that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...