Friday, April 2, 2010

Part 2 of the Tree Series - The Birch


Here is part 2 of my tree series. The original was the Tall Pine, pictured here on the left. It had the unique perspective of looking "up" the tree, and I liked that. So much so, I decided to do a 2nd (that's when the series actually started). We have a tall, bark-peeling birch tree in our yard. I always loved the way the tree would shed it's bark, and the various shapes, colors & designs the bark would form. So I thought it would make a good subject for a painting and took numerous photos to try & capture that vertical look. The end result is pictured on the right. I tried to capture both the peeling bark and the tall vertical perspective - hopefully this did.

These are on rather large canvas's - each 16 x 40, gallery-wrapped with the edges painted as well. I don't know if there will be a 3rd in this series, although I am looking at some of the sycamore's we have where I live. Their bark can be very interesting - might make a good painting too!



3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Goodness, Nancie! I love the birch tree even more than the first pine! You've quite adroitly captured that curly bark! A beautiful and awesome series!

Nan Johnson said...

I have to agree with you Sherry. Now that I have their photos side-by-side, I prefer the birch also. I'm thinking I should work the background on the pine to make it more like the birch (in color & tone). We'll see -- never done tweaking! LOL Thanks for your comments - always welcomed!

Autumn Leaves said...

Nancie, I took a photo yesterday that instantly had me thinking of your tree paintings here. In fact, I think the shot itself was inspired by your paintings! LOL What a dizzying view!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...