Thursday, March 25, 2010

Caladium in 4 part harmony


This was done recently for the WC floral monthly challenge. This month's theme was caladiums and their wonderfully colored leaves. I decided to do something with this that I've wanted to do on a painting for some time now, and I thought this subject was perfect for it.

Using 4 individual 8x8 canvas's, I did the one image across all 4. Each individual canvas can stand on it's own, but together they form a 16x16 image. The canvas is stretched with gallery edges - I continued the image onto the edges. In the photograph I have the 4 canvas's tight with each other, but they can be left with a margin between. It has a finished look because the edges are painted also.

I had fun doing this, but it did feel like I was doing 4 paintings at the same time! I'm pretty happy with the results and I think it was worth the extra effort.

Acrylic on 4 - 8x8 gallery wrapped stretched canvas's


3 comments:

carringtonpbrown said...

as a landscape designer who deals with plants all the time..this is wonderful!

Autumn Leaves said...

Worth the extra effort indeed, Nancie! This is absolutely stunning. I love the colors too. Beautiful!!

Nancy Goldman said...

I really like using several canvases to create one picture. It definitely adds interest. Your colors are beautiful and I really like your design.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...