Monday, August 13, 2018

ADK


I'm still working on the letter art, but I've changed from doing single letters to smaller acronyms. This is the first in the series.

While I was painting one of the larger canvas letters, someone asked if I could do smaller ones. I thought about it - given the fact that I was painting numerous small paintings on 1 large letter, I thought that doing the same thing on a smaller letter would prove to be quite tedious. But then I thought "why not do 1 single scene across a few letters!"

Then my search for letters began. I didn't want small, thin letters. I wanted chunky letters - letters with enough surface to have a scene show. I had no idea how many shapes, sizes, materials, designs that letters could be made into! Well, actually, I did, but I wanted something that was (a) not too expensive and (b) stood out well - or maybe just stood!

I found some block letters on Etsy - they are reproductions of old hot metal forms that were used in the Printing industry. I originally thought to use some vintage letters, but - they are all backwards! It was what was needed to produce the type in our normal reading format. These reproductions work perfectly! Standing 5 inches tall, are actually raised letters on a 3/4 inch thick block of wood. Perfect - so I ordered 3 letters to try. I wasn't sure how well the paint would adhere (it adheres perfectly), and I will seal it when done.



ADK (which is the acronym for Adirondacks) are 3 separate letters - but I will adhere them together to make a single block - 5 inches high & roughly 11-1/2 wide. It can stand on it's own, but I will also make it so it can be hung.

I can't wait for the next set of letters to arrive and to paint a different scene!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...