Thursday, February 15, 2018

MMP Series #4 - Mona's Hands

6x6 acrylic on stretched canvas
image wraps on 1-1/2 inch sides
SOLD

I am reposting my original post about Mona's Hands. Having just re-read this and it still holds true today. I always liked this piece and may do another painting similar.

For MMP #4, the artist, this time, is Leonardo Da Vinci. The subject - the Mona Lisa. I dared not attempt to do the Mona Lisa in full! But her hands, that I thought I would challenge myself with.

Firstly, I have to say, Leonardo was the king of "lost edges." I have painted with them before, but never like this! Soft edges everywhere, nothing hard except for a few distinct lines between the hands & in the clothing. This took a bit of getting use to - I am use to definitive, hard edges.

Secondly, his color palette! I know that he mixed his own colors (and probably quite toxic in his day), but the dark, rich earth colors were a bit of a challenge to create. 

While working on this, I did a bit of research into the Mona Lisa painting and found some historians who wrote that the original colors for this painting were quite vibrant. Here are a few links if you're interested in reaching further:



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...