I don't know if you recall this painting of mine. It was done some time ago, and although I loved the front entrance and flowers, there was always something in the painting that bothered me. Still, I kept it & advertised it but it did not sell. Hmmmm, I would always wonder why.
This past fall I took part in an art show in the park, and I put together a series of 6x12 paintings that I called "Slices of Life." Some of the paintings I did were new, but I knew I would not have enough time to do enough new ones for the show. So I put together a Plan B.
Plan B was to look at some of my existing paintings with a keen eye. Were there any of them that would benefit from a cropped view? Sometimes, when a painting isn't working, and you can't put your finger on it - it has to do with the composition. And sometimes, simply cropping it to a new size vastly improves it. That was the case with this painting.
That top shuttered window bugged me. I mean, I just pulled my eye whenever I looked. But I didn't realize it because I would "tell" myself to look at the door, plants & shadow. But that bright spot above the door was always there.
After I took a closer look, I realized what had been bugging me about this painting all along. And I cropped it to fit the 6x12 format (original size was 9x12). Here's the new painting - look at the difference! The focus is now where I wanted it to be: the door, the flowers & the shadows!
This is not the first time I've saved a painting by cropping it's size. In fact, I did it with a few others for the show & recently, I did it for a few gifts I gave for the holidays. I will post them in the next few days.
This "new" painting is sold, I'm happy to say. And the new owner loves it - I could not ask for more. Lesson learned, if it bugs you, then there is something wrong. And a re-crop can be a valuable alternative to a painting sitting & not selling (or to a tossed or painted-over painting)!