Saturday, August 29, 2015

On The Rocks


"On the Rocks" - Monterey Peninsula
9x12 acrylic on canvas
Available through DPW gallery/auction

This month the VPO is visiting the Monterey Peninsula in California. It's a beautiful area of the country & state - I have visited it in the past, and it was a highlight for me on my trip. The original Google map view can be seen here.

You may not be aware, but I have a fascination with rocks. All rocks, all sizes, all colors. In the Adirondacks, I am lucky to have an abundant of beautiful stones to see & collect. Quartz, ore, fool's gold just to name a few. It seems I can't go down by the lake & walk the shoreline without spotting a new "pretty stone" to take home and add to my collection.

I have always loved the history of how rocks developed, the various types (sedentary, metamorphosis, etc). Even as a child I use to read up on them (and volcanos) as I loved the idea that the rocks in my yards were probably hundreds of years old! 

So when the VPO location was posted, I headed right to the beach. And I went rock hunting. Found this collection at the Carmel River State Beach. And believe it or not, I can remember some 40 years ago, sitting on the rocks on the beach and wondering what life would be like as I grew up. Now I can sit on this beach again, virtually, and simply smile. 

It was a true pleasure to do this visit, and this painting.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...