Sunday, January 4, 2015

Rural Laundry


"Rural Laundry"
9x12 acrylic on canvas
Available through DPW gallery/auction

One of the greatest inventions (I think) was the "smart phone" and the ability to have a camera with you all the time. How many times I've missed a great scene in the past because I didn't have my camera with me. It became a running joke on the boat in the summer - "don't bring your camera & there will be tons of things to capture. Bring it, and there will be nothing!" But my phone camera has saved the day (more than once). It's great to capture a scene or two (or ten) for painting references.

One day, while traveling back from the store, we passed this location. I loved all the trees in the background in contrast to the red barn. And this woman had some of the most colorful laundry hanging on the line. I took numerous photos & stored them for a future painting - and I will probably paint more than 1 painting of this scene. 

This is the initial look I saw from the road that made me yell "stop the car" while my husband was driving. I jumped out and started snapping away at the scene - walking around to capture it from different angles. I tried not to intrude on the homeowners land, but I also had to make sure I wasn't suddenly run over by a vehicle either as I was on the road. It's a somewhat rural road and does not see a lot of traffic, but you still have to watch for the occasional truck or tractor. 

I have to say, this is one of those paintings that seemed to paint itself - done entirely in 1 sitting (except for a wash I did this morning on the red building to tone it down a bit). I love these auto paintings - where the vision in your mind just comes out on the canvas, where your hand follows the mind's direction. It's that moment of wonder that we, as artists (I think) always strive for - that feeling of connection. I know I love it, and it can be quite addicting - but I'm not foolish to believe all paintings will be that way. Most times I have to grab my hand & brush to stop it from overworking the painting! 


1 comment:

Nelvia said...

Hot cocoa this morning cause it is COLD. Had a good laugh at the image of snapping this picture. We are a crazy bunch but know what we want. Love the color and looking for the next one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...