Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Cake Top


"The Cake Top"
9x12 acrylic on canvas panel
Available through DPW gallery/auction

Day 21 of 365 days

Originally painted in 2010, this was a fellow artists image of her daughters wedding cake. Beautiful florals arranged on the cake top. And lovely icing piped around the cake. Makes you want to dip your finger in for a taste, doesn't it?

What I thought would be the hard part to capture with paints (the baby's breath) turned out to be quite simple and easy. Even the 3 red roses were not terribly difficult. And by difficult, I mean I did not have to paint over them & try again to capture them. The area that was difficult was deciding what background to give this! The photograph had a very busy background, which of course, I wanted to omit. But that left me to decide what to put there. 

When I did finally decide to do the background in blue, then the question was, "Which blue." There are many color variations of blue (as there are with all colors) - so did I want It more red, more green, bright or subdued. I remember the blue background was painted at least 3 different values or tones of blue before I was happy with the one you see here.

-----------------------------
Artists note: although I've been painting, I haven't finished a new paintIng yet to post! Winter weather, day time job & house guests over the past weekend all led to very still paintbrushes! I have painted the last 2 evenings though, so I am confident that I will have a new painting soon. Not all paintings go quickly - even some of the small ones can take a bit of time!









1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

None of my paintings go quickly, alas. I'm almost done drawing my next one, but not quite. This cake topper makes me want cake.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...