Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Bride's Things


Acrylic 16x20 gallery canvas
NFS

Today, June 1st, is my wedding anniversary. So I thought it rather proper to post this painting I did back in 2010 of the items I carried or wore at my wedding.

These items hold sentimental value to me for a few reasons. The handkerchief belonged to my mother and she carried it on her wedding day (in 1948!). My mother passed away some 40 years ago and did not live to see me married, so I carried that piece of her with me on my day.

The garter is her's also, and I wore it proudly for the same reason.

The rosary beads were a gift I had given to my Aunt who was battling cancer. She loved the fact that they came from St. Patricks cathedral in NYC and that I had had them blessed for her. Sadly, she did not get to attend the wedding as she died days before. The rosary was with her during the funeral but were given to me my her daughter so that I could keep them & remember. I carried them on my wedding day, along with my mothers handkerchief, as a way to acknowledge both my Aunt and my mother who were with me in spirit.

Needless to say, this one is not for sale (although a print of it can be ordered).


3 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Wonderful painting full of sweet memories!

Autumn Leaves said...

This one gave me goosebumps, Nancie. I love how special this piece is to you and what each piece represents.

jill polsby said...

What a canvas of memories! Happy anniversary my friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...