Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blue Striped Awnings


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas panel
Email me if interested in this painting

Sixth in the series "1934 Oradell Houses" - reserved for future show


I just love these houses. Look at those awnings! While scrolling through the photos of these great houses, I found quite a number of them with these large awnings. Some are on many windows, others are like these & only over the front entryway area. In a time when air conditioning mean't opening a window, these homes used colorful awnings to cast shade in areas or on windows as a way to reduce the hot summer heat.  And they were a colorful accent on the home too!

I can only imagine how expensive it would be today, to put these large awnings over porches & windows. I'm sure it wasn't cheap back in 1934 either. I suppose it is equivalent to purchasing air conditioners today. Oh, don't let me forget to make mention of that great porch & wonderful tree in the front yard.  

Here is a photo of the original:


2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Have to admit that I've never been a fan of awnings, except over the entryways to hotels or something! LOL Still, I do so love the tree in the yard and that front porch is awesome! I keep wishing I could avoid air conditioning myself but I just seriously cannot stand the heat and humidity we get here in IL.

jill polsby said...


This might be your best Oradell painting yet! It's a fabulous "read" from a black and white photo. Keep up the wonderful series.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...