Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Laundry's out back


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas panel
Email me if interested in this painting

This is a first in a series of house paintings that I am doing. There is a town in my state called Oradell, and it has a collection of photographs taken in 1934 of the homes in their town - all stemming from a tax dispute. I found this collection through the towns website - a link to them is here. The first one you see in the series of photographs is this house.

I found these images fascinating - partly from the charm of some of the houses, but also because I had relatives who lived in Oradell that I visited as a child in the 50s & 60s. Looking at these homes, and painting some of them, reminds me of that time, and of Aunt Agnes. Her home we often visited, and she was one of my favorite Aunts. Sadly, she died when I was only 10 years old - but I remember her fondly even today.

All of the photos are in b/w, but I chose to do this one in the colors of my choice. I may do some of the others in b/w or perhaps a sepia tone. You'll notice I left a large foreground tree out also, I thought it chopped the image too much, as did the hedge going across the front. Artistic license!

Here is the original b/w image, used with permission from Oradell township::


And here is a link to the same house today, via google maps. The house is now blue, with many plantings surrounding it. I also notice that part of the porch was enclosed, to the right of the door - which happens often in these types of homes. 

4 comments:

martinealison said...

Une petite maison où il doit faire bon vivre...
Une très jolie peinture pleine de douceur.
gros bisous

Karla said...

This is such a beautiful painting! And you did this from a black and white photo? How interesting. I will enjoy seeing more of these!

Autumn Leaves said...

What a beautiful old house! This is the type of home I both wish to see inside and to live within. Love the red choice and as far as cutting away hedges and trees? I just choose to think of myself standing between them and the house for a better view!

Nan Johnson said...

Thank you all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...