Tuesday, August 21, 2012

East 42nd Street -- SOLD


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet
Available through DPW gallery/auction

The East Side of Manhattan has a different "feel" to it - sort of a different rhythm that it lives with. The space looks different, a bit more open, not as crowded. The buildings, although still large, don't seem as imposing as some of the midtown skyscrapers do. And the people tend to exhibit different behaviors, probably due to the different rhythm the area resounds with.

This is 42nd street, on the East Side of Manhattan (side furthest from New Jersey & closest to Long Island). I have always had some difficulty with my east & west in Manhattan. Having grown up in NJ, I always say "east" as "towards the city" -- of course that all changes when you are actually "IN" the city!

This scene is facing west (towards NJ) while on the East side of Manhattan Island (5th Ave splits the island into East & West sides). And yes, that is the old Chrysler Building in the background. A bit of the history about the Chrysler Building can be found here.

3 comments:

jill polsby said...

Oooooh, I love it! Good job!

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh such a wonderful cityscape, Nan!! I really love the trees...reminds me of a book I read as a child, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I must re-read that one. Beautiful work!

Nan Johnson said...

Thanks to both of you. I think I'm into cityscapes of late, just love doing the tall buildings! Sherry, a wonderful book and movie as well. I recommend revisiting it again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...