Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Smugglers Cave


Acrylic on 9x12 canvas sheet
Available through DPW gallery/auction

This is a painting done back in November of 2008 for a challenge on the Wet Canvas website. This image is of Smugglers Cave, located in Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend National Park, Texas. This was one of my first acrylic works with reflections, and it's when I learned that acrylics do not behave the same as oils! Still I perservered at learning the new art media and I think it has paid off. Now, 3 years later I am still working with acrylics and haven't really ventured off of them. I will probably change one day, perhaps soon - I may go back to oils for a bit (it has been a while since I worked with them). Or I may try something new -- I always loved the look of watercolor, perhaps that will be a worthwhile challenge.

But I really do think that working with reflections gives you a chance to really get to know your medium, it offers a challenge all in itself. The trick I learned with reflections is not to turn the work upside down, but rather turn it sideways. For some reason I find it much easier to match left to right. Maybe it's from doing all those childhood puzzles "What's different in these two pictures?" - LOL

2 comments:

martinealison said...

Une publication intéressante. Une jolie peinture.
Je n'ai jamais ou si peu travaillé avec l'acrylique. En ce qui me concerne je préfère l'huile car je travaille lentement, l'acrylique sèche trop vite pour moi.
Cependant j'admire le rendu de l'acrylique.

Vos reflets sont superbes. Il est toujours passionnant de travailler les reflets.
En parlant de faire le travail à l'envers, votre phrase m'a fait penser à mon fils Yannis-William. Lorsqu'il était enfant il dessinait comme beaucoup d'enfant des paysages avec dans un coin du ciel un superbe soleil. Il dessinait en partageant sa feuille en deux. Sur la partie du haut il y avait donc ce fameux paysage avec le soleil et au-dessous ce paysage similaire avec là, la lune au lieu du soleil...
J'ai toujours trouvé curieux et captivant à la fois sa façon de dessiner.
Je dérive n'est-ce pas ?!...
Je serais ravie de voir vos prochaines oeuvres à l'aquarelle.
Gros bisous

Autumn Leaves said...

Amazing detail in the rocks themselves but the water is the star of the show here, Nan. Beautifully done!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...