Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Pomegranate


Not a very original name, I'm afraid. This was painted for the Paint & Draw together challenge.

Loved working with all the reds in this, quite a mix of them. Cad Red light, Cad Red medium, Van Dyke Red, a Burgundy, and Red Oxide. Then I added different amounts of Burnt Umber, Raw Umber & Burnt Sienna. And just a few touches of Yellow Ochre & Buff Titanium. All combined to make this a very rich, almost decadent, value study of reds & browns.

I chose to make the background a bit more interesting by making it 2 shades - likewise, I did the same with the table. I thought the 2 halfs would make it appear more balanced. All in all, a fun painting.

Acrylic on 9x12 canvas

4 comments:

Elena Malec said...

it's interesting that it creates the impression of a digital effect the way you worked the shadows on the fruit.A unique feeling.

martinealison said...

Grenade explosive !!! et puissante. Bravo.
Bises,

yasha said...

I loved the way you did the shadows on the fruit and also the table.Your work always have a different touch Nancie.

Gary Keimig said...

beautiful touch Nancie. I loe the contrasts you used.
Thank you for the comment on my art blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...